Hot Rails to Hoboken

Ted O. Jackson TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Fri Feb 23 14:33:45 EST 1996

> >>        However, my friends and I used to have a running joke about
> >>"proper rock intonation" as appears in this song.  (Tox, if he still lurks
> >>on this list, may recall it).
> >>        With thunderous riffing behind him, Eric sings:
> >>        "My boat left New Orleans ..." (he builds to the lyrical
> >>climax ...)
> >>        "... IN 1829!!"
> >>
> >>        Woah! we all think.  Rockin'!
> >
> >Oh YEAH ! let's rock...
> >
> >>        Then: Wait? "My boat left New Orleans in 1829?"  What the _hell_
> >>are we doing head-banging to that?  What's going on here?  Why should
> >>we care?  ;)

Right.   But my own favorite moment comes a bit later in the song.
When Al speaks of 'a place where you can see relics of jewels...AND
AMTRAK TRAINS!'  Well my jaw about hit the ground on that one.  And
I've been a BOC/Al fan forever, but he's still able to freak me out,
seemingly at will.  Al realizes that the appeal to us whackos is this
freaked-out, tripped-out stuff a lot more than 'Burnin'
theo