writing credits

Jerry stayer at PI.NET
Mon Feb 26 03:22:44 EST 1996

[Doors / Krieger / songwriting]
>There was a good interview with Robbie in Guitar World a little
while
>back, and he said that Morrison [probably contrary to a lot of
>preconceptions] always insisted that songwriting credits be
>attributed to the whole band.  Although this did change for, I
think,
>Soft parade.
It had individual songwriting credits for two albums: The Soft
Parade, and Morrison Hotel. Strange thing on the latter: Roadhouse
Blues and Maggie M'Gill: Morrison / The Doors. Probably jams - I
read in Densmore's book the lyrics were partly improvised during a
live jam.
There are (I know of) two versions, why the songwriting credits
changed from collective to individual. First one (most popular) is
that JM said he didn't want people think he wrote 'Tell All the
People' (definitely not the best Doors song) - kind of negative.
The other story is almost the same, but has a more positive feel
about it - JM said he hated the fact that people always thought he
was the one to write all the songs.

>Jim liked the notion of band solidarity.
I believe it worked like that.

>I've always seen BOC as inheritors of at least part of
>the Doors' mantle...
Which Doors songs have BOC done live? Of course, Roadhouse Blues
with verses of Soul Kitchen and Love Me Two Times. Joe Bouchard
did a couple of lines from The Wasp: Texas Radio And The Big Beat
during his bass solos sometimes.
In a Morning Final I read BOC started some song with the LA Woman
riff, but I've never heard it (yet).
Any more?

Jerry