seeing how the other half lives

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Wed Feb 28 13:43:15 EST 1996

> I originally joined this for BOC and was introduced to tBS shortly
> there after (thank's Torgo).  So when I stumbled across a HW cd
> I couldn't resist my curiosity.
> It's a 4-song cd titled *Quark, Strangeness & Charm*.
> I really like the title track but the rest seems a bit on the
> "techno" side for me.  Is this cd a good example of HW or did I
> waste my money?

        In a word: no :)
        About it being a good example, anyway.  Whether you wasted your
money or not is a more complex question.  As I recall the CD EP, "QS&C"
(the song) is quite good and representative, but the rest is _not_.

> If it's not, can anyone out there throw me a bisquit
> and name some cd's that might be found in the heart of up-state NY.

        Who can say what lurks in up-state NY (especially from the other
side of the pond) but I generally recommend _Space Ritual_ (2CD), _Hall
of the Mountain Grill_, and _Palace Springs_ as good starting points for
a new Hawkwindnaut.  I'd add that a good summary of early Hawkwind that
can usually be found in the States is _Psychedelic Warlords (Best of)_ on
the Cleopatra label.  It's also worth repeating the usual transition
albums recommended for BOC fans: _Levitation_, _Chronicle of the Black
Sword_, and _Live Chronicles_.

        I'd also recommend looking at an on-line mail-order service, which
would avoid the idiosyncrasies of local selection and might well be
cheaper.

Cheers,
Carl