BRAIN / BOC INdy CD's and Royalties/The Costs

BREVARD Adrian R. ABrevard at SHIWAS01.WASHINGTON.MM2.SHL.COM
Wed Jan 3 16:11:00 EST 1996

>        How much does it cost to put out an independant CD?

>In this area you can get deals to press 1,000 cd's and 500 cassettes for
>very little money.  The real cost is probably in distribution, how do you
>get it to record stores, escpecially the big chains, for a reasonable
price.
> I've seen labels produce cd's with different companies responsible for the
>distribution.  Mail ordering is probably less expensive, especially when
the
>consumer pays shipping costs both ways.  Still you have to spend some money
>on advertising.

>I believe this thread got started regarding a new BOC album.  And, the
>real costs are probably not so much in pressing CDs, but in producing
>the music to put on those CDs.  For a quality recording, alot of work
>goes into the recording, mixing, sequencing, etc. of the various tracks.
>And, the resultant CD will only be as good as the master recording is.

>While not trying to turn this into a "BOC vs. The Brain Surgeons" thread,
>I want to point out the Al/Deb/et al have demonstrated how to put out
>a very fine independent release on CD.  But, knowing the amount of work
>that went into it (I believe they spent 3 days to record, and then
something
>like 3 weeks to mix *Trepanation*), there's certainly more to the
>costs than actual production.  Now, I don't know the status of BOC
>putting out new stuff, but it is possible that the tracks that they've
>already worked up need more than just being pressed onto CD - they
>may need to be re-recorded, re-mixed, etc.

>Anyways, my point of all this was that for a truly quality product,
>there's more costs involved than having the CDs/tapes pressed.

>John

Would agree whole heartedly but as you point out with the Surgeons if you
have the skills to complete some of the production processes yourself you
can certainly minimize your outside expenses.  Time is money and for a do it
yourself production you will burn a lot of time, this however may be
preferrable than having Alan Parsons come in and do the production and
finishing touches.  Also by doing the re-mix, mastering and assorted tasks
probably gives a group like the Surgeons a great advantage over a group
outsourcing these taks to someone else; quality control over final
production.  Its not final until they are happy with it, the sound is what
they want it to be as opposed to another persons interpretation of what it
should be.  I assume that once you bring in third parties to any part of the
creation, finishing and selling process your costs increase accordingly.

AB

PS - Slightly off subject and I may have missed it but are there any plans
for a Brain Surgeons FAQ?