DarXtar: Daybreak 'Review'

Paul G Ward sonique at AARDVARK.APANA.ORG.AU
Wed Jan 3 06:03:59 EST 1996

Gidday All!

I finally decided to get around to reviewing DarXtar's _Daybreak_
album, after promising various swedish folk that I'd do it months
ago! So here goes ......

Disclaimer:     None, I think I'm past that {;^), IMO, etc.)
Band:           DarXtar
Title:          Daybreak
Label:          SBm SBMCDA001
1st Release:    1994
Artists:                Darklord Soren (Keyboards)
                        Fred&Ric (Space Violin)
                        Doctor Patric (Drums)
                        Lt Lines (Artwork)
                        Captain Juba (Bass & Vocals)
                        The Commander (Guitar & Vocals)

I must admit that I received my personally autographed (thanks
Hawkjoe) copy of this CD with a small amount of Trepidation ... I had
no idea what to expect, and hoped that they weren't going to be
Hawkwind wanna-be's. I am happy to say that I worried for nothing!
But while on the subject, let's get the Hawkwind comparisons out of
the way first, before I concentrate on the album in it's own right.

These guys are not (nor are they tring to be) Hawkwind. They have
their own distinct sound, and one that definitely belongs in the
genre of 'Space Rock', as broad as that definition is. There are
strong signs of HW influence here though - which is of course a good
thing. All the tracks are full of the sort of spacey electronic
effects that we are all familiar with, but it is in no way excessive.
The closest link to HW that I can suggest is my first reaction to the
album ..... this is what Hawkwind might be like if 1972 was 1994. If
my biased comparison to Doremi/Space ritual etc. is anything to go
on, long may the DarXtar spaceship fly ......

Now on to the review proper. First stop - the cover .....

As you place the disc in the player, you can't help but notice the
cover drawings of moons and stars (and a 50's style rocket ship)
over an alien landscape, and inside, the excerpt from the 'Captains
Log Stardate 49207110:15' The excitement begins as you read of the
disastrous Timewarp hurls the spaceship across the galaxy to parts
unknown, and simultaneously press 'play' ....

'Eternal War' begins with the sounds of rain, wind and thunder on a
dreary winter day ..... accompanied by the sound of a spacecraft
crashing to earth and the coughs of the survivors. Then came the
guitar! This is good stuff, a punchy full sound with some decent
drumwork, and regular changes of pace. The short soft passages (where
the special effects are most evident) don't last too long, and some
nice spacey guitar riffs take over as the pace picks up again. As the
storm fades into the distance, the short spoken 'Magicians' begins.
This 'ode' to all space warriors concludes with my favourite line on
the album, "In Space we Trust", as the opening chords of 'Voices of
my Dreams' begin. This track is much slower, but still maintains a
'wall of sound', with the tweaks and chirps of the special effects
much more dominant (but still not overpowering).

'Dark Daze' is next up, opening with the fading sounds of a happy
baby and adult laughter in the seque from the previous track. There
is some very nice 'natural' guitar sounds in this one, which is
slower again then the earlier track. It tells of the sorrow of the
lost starfarer's who "wish they could find a way back home". It's not
really 'Space Rock', but is a great song that fits in perfectly.

'Valley of Time' picks up the pace again to some extent. This track
has some great lyrics, and the music portrays just the right amount
of foreboding. The tranquility of birds chirping as the track fades
is soon shattered as DarXtar 'Travel Fast Nowhere'! The pace has
returns full force with this punchy number, dominated by fuzzed out
Bass guitar. It slows down in the middle in a dark and mysterious way
(not too dissimilar from many HW tracks), but the power breaks out
again for the song's close.

Their album concludes with the 15 minute epic 'Into the Unknown'. This
is my favourite track, probably because it reminds me so much of you
know who. Space Rock at it's finest, it has elements of 80's concept
bands mixed with classic 70's rock.

I really like this album, and look forward to DarXtar's subsequent
releases. They have a style all their own, but have some obvious
strong influences. The vocals are generally clear and easy to
understand. They remind me of (in no particular order) of Hawkwind,
Pallas, Pendragon, IQ (especially the vocals), and even Marillion is
some parts. If you do see this in the stores, buy it - you won't be
sorry!

A. Soniqu=E9
--
Paul Ward        aka: Assassin Sonique'      .---.  __  .--------   Long