BRAIN / BOC INdy CD's and Royalties

Ted O. Jackson TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Thu Jan 4 08:13:53 EST 1996

> Deborah NEVER said Sony would be putting out Trepanation in February! But you
> musta taken my advice to check out the bar-- and sounds like you found a
> stronger brew there than I did! But you shoulda introduced yourself! You
> woulda also met lots of famous BOC-Lers who made the trip-- among them, Mssrs
> Rudich, Swartz, and the long lost Tox. It was great to see everybody!
> Especially Jeff and Lorree, who stood all the way on the train from NYC!
> Trepanation, as anyone who's been paying attention here, or coming to gigs
> lately, knows, will be in stores in late January, courtesy of Ripe &Ready,
> same outfit that distributed Eponymous.

I saw a copy of 'Eponymous' last Saturday at Lechmere, a big
department store that occasionally surprises one with unexpected
recordings.  Blew my mind for sure.

Also, saw a review of WOTT in 'Guitar World.'  Very nice review
generally praising BOC and lamenting their gradual eclipse.  The
reviewer cited the a capella intro to 'Golden Age' and remarked how
cool it was for a rock band to write its own epitaph at the peak of
their success.

Which causes me to speculate.  Why did a great band like BOC fall off
the map so suddenly and so desperately?  Black Sabbath still puts out
an album every year, and somehow hangs together regardless of the
quality of recorded output.  How come they stay signed (albieit on
small-ish I.R.S.) and the clearly superior B.O.C., who have many
great songs already ready cannot?  Did B.O.C's fans somehow desert
them en masse, and if so, for what reason?  They were very popular
with their die-hard fans before and after the radio success of
'Reaper' and 'Burnin''.  Was the loss of the Bouchard brothers
somehow fatal to fan interest? Welcoming all comments and
speculations...
theo