BOC Decline Another Source of Information

BREVARD Adrian R. ABrevard at SHIWAS01.WASHINGTON.MM2.SHL.COM
Fri Jan 5 14:30:00 EST 1996

>Theo asks:

>Which causes me to speculate.  Why did a great band like BOC fall off
>the map so suddenly and so desperately?

>Haven't we beaten this topic to death in the past?  No offense meant
>to Theo, but there's been alot of talk on BOC-L over the past year
>about this.  But I will make a few comments on your question.

As an oldtimer John you have probably seen and commented on about thirty of
these; you can probably recite these things while sleeping.

I'll offer this to you Theo on the subject as I  agree with most of what
John and other's have said in the past, check out the All Music Guide which
has a chronological review of all BOC releases thru Cult Classics.  The same
person provides commentary on each effort.  Will take you about 10 minutes
or so to read it but it offers some really good insight on BOC's musical
direction and struggles.  Some of the interesting points the author makes
 are:

1) While classified a heavy metal band BOC never really was one.
2) He spends some time (chronologically) discussing the departures of Al,
Alan, Joe, Alan's return and the host of other players since the dissolution
of the original lineup.
3) The constant switch of producers and directions after AOF. Commercial vs
arena rock/heavy metal.
4) The irony of Imaginos being the truest statment of what BOC really was
and how it really wasn't a BOC record at all

While I can't recall the actual statement I belive he also alludes to Don't
Fear the Reaper as the Bands Swan Song ironically written years before the
official decline of the band.  Just another source for opinions as to why
the band has gone or is perceived to be a group way past its prime.

As a bonus the guide also tells you which albums went gold, no actual
numbers provided however.

AB