BRAIN / BOC INdy CD's and Royalties

Fri Jan 5 09:17:38 EST 1996

Theo, I think that there's a combination of things happening with BOC's
lack of a new album these days.  I think the creative well is a bit
slow (and again, that well was depleted in a big way with the loss of
the Bouchards), and while they do have several "new" songs, I'm not
sure if they have a whole album's worth of quality material - certainly
the one's they've done live over the past 4-5 years are good, but it's
not clear if there are others.  It also sounds to me like they can't
get a deal that would satisfy them (or maybe their management -- we
used to bitch quite regularly about Steve Schenk on BOC-L as alot of
us "old timers" seem to believe that he was doing little or nothing
to help the band), but perhaps if they get a little ambition (or some
pressure from their fans?) they'll release one on their own.  As far
as the "dreck that sells millions these days", well that's more a
function of radio companies trying to satisfy what they feel the public
is demanding.  And how many kids listening to Pearl Jam and all the
other big bands of today want to hear BOC?  Sure, WE know that they've
got quality music, but a major label isn't interested in trying to
promote that to all the kids listening to Pearl Jam et al these days.
But, listen to me sounding like my parents ("you kids these days don't
know what good music is . . . turn off that crap you're listening to!").

John