Theo and lack of quality music

BREVARD Adrian R. ABrevard at SHIWAS01.WASHINGTON.MM2.SHL.COM
Sat Jan 6 13:20:00 EST 1996

John Swartz responds to Theo>
>Theo, I think that there's a combination of things happening with BOC's
lack of a new album these days.  I think the creative well is a bit
slow (and again, that well was depleted in a big way with the loss of
the Bouchards), and while they do have several "new" songs, I'm not
sure if they have a whole album's worth of quality material - certainly
the one's they've done live over the past 4-5 years are good, but it's
not clear if there are others.

I was busying a similar response about the new material and just how much
there was/is when mail blew up.  Cha-ching cha-ching adding to JS's
thoughts, the small amount of new stuff is there and its really good too,
but beyond even a first cd can they come up with more true or close to BOC
type music for a second or third cd?

JS>It also sounds to me like they can't get a deal that would satisfy them
(or maybe their management -- we used to bitch quite regularly about Steve
Schenk on BOC-L as alot of
us "old timers" seem to believe that he was doing little or nothing
to help the band), but perhaps if they get a little ambition (or some
pressure from their fans?) they'll release one on their own.

Agreed it will have to be an indy with no future commitments.  Put yourself
in say Sony's shoes.  You agree to a one record deal with BOC, put out the
new stuff and a whole generation suddenly discovers what they have been
missing all these years.  It goes gold, perhaps Platinum and what are you
(Sony) stuck with?  A bidding war for a suddenly hot band in a very volatile
industry.  If your Sony what you want is either options for future albums or
a hard commitment for a few.  One shot deal is too risky.  To go the major
label route BOC has to convince someone that their is a good poossiblity for
more marketable music after the initial release.  Looking at their history
everything after AOF has been sporadic and inconsistent in terms of quality
and sales.  Would you bite on a band that no longer has the majority of its
creative juices and who's members are either late 40's or early 50's.  This
is a business after all.

> As far as the "dreck that sells millions these days", well that's more a
function of radio companies trying to satisfy what they feel the public
is demanding.  And how many kids listening to Pearl Jam and all the
other big bands of today want to hear BOC?  Sure, WE know that they've
got quality music, but a major label isn't interested in trying to
promote that to all the kids listening to Pearl Jam et al these days.
But, listen to me sounding like my parents ("you kids these days don't
know what good music is . . . turn off that crap you're listening to!").
>John

We disagree.  Not all the dreck is bad, and really can only be bad to any
indivdual based on their own personal definition of quality.  Are there any
BOC's HW's or Led Zepplins out there, maybe not to us but certainly to the
record buying public there is.   PJ is a really talented group.  STP,
Soundgarden, Live, Dave Mathews, Blues Travellers, King's X  are all very
good.  Funny, King's X ,a band who lyrically are diametrically opposed to
BOC, yet blessed with very skilled muscians who play a heavy hard style of
rock, have had a career that mirrors (excuse the pun) BOC's.  Critical
acclaim, rabid fans, much credit for quality intelligent music, great live
performances yet very little commercial success.  Initially I said the
parent thing to myself about some of these new groups, however when I wear
my rebellious teenager hat they like BOC actually sound quite good.

AB