Nik Interview

Henrik Hallgren 100522.44 at COMPUSERVE.COM
Sun Jan 7 11:06:17 EST 1996

Interview conducted by Henrik Hallgren and Johan Edlundh.

The interview was done at club Eldslandet in Jonkoping 16/12-95.
F= fans (Henrik and Joe)
N= Nik Turner (famous rockstar and a very nice guy)

F: First of all, welcome back to Sweden Nik, it's a great pleasure for us to have you here, when was the last time ?

N: Thankyou very much, it's great to be back and I also like to travel and see newplaces. The last time I was here was with Hawkwind back in 1975 when we played at Olympen in Lund.

F: What are your plans for the future musically ?

N: Well, since I'm interested in practically all types of music I'll try other styles and add elements of them to my own music. I think It can add a new dimension and perhaps develop space -rock.
What I do know is that I will continue my work with Pressurehed and continue touring in North-America.
But I would also like to do the same thing here in Europe, perhaps with DarXtar if that is possible. Not only to do regular tours here in Europe but also to play at festivals in both Scandinavia and Europe.
When it's up to recordings there should be a new Anubian lights CD out soon with some new tracks as well as
some remixes of older tracks. Also to be released early next year is a half live/half studio CD with tracks that I
originally wrote for the Black sword album but Dave didn't want to deal with them.
There are six new tracks and six live tracks from previous US-tours. I can also add that the tracks I wrote for Black sword was done after I've read the Elric-books, very interesting books as a matter of fact.
There is also an ambient CD planned  to be released in the future.As I mentioned earlier I like many types of music and I've lately been listening to African music, I especially like the percussion parts. Their music is much more complex but also very "easy" music.
I've also been to India some time ago and I did record songs, temple music and wedding songs, I did also play alt-
sax during the recordings in a minor mood. Let's see what will come out of that.
My work with the all-stars back in UK will also continue so I'm as you can see involved in many different projects.

F: From where do you get the inspiration ?

N: It's a simple answer to that question - LIFE.

F: Will ther be a reunion with Hawkwind, considering the fact that you both play heavy space-rock ?

N: Not likely, I've lost a lot of respect for Hawkwind during the years.

F: What about Doug Smith then ?

N: We're coming along well and he want to release my back-catalog in the future and that would be great.

F: Any plans to work with other ex-members of Hawkwind ?

N: Yes, I'll do more work with Simon House  ans also with Alan Powell and Del Dettmar. I can also tell you that he'sreally excited about  playing space-rock again after a long absence in the Canadian forests.

As Joe reported earlier it was a magic night for Hawkwind/Nik/DarXtar fans, and we still enjoy the tapes
from the event very much.

We did also talk a lot about other things as well but they may not be of interest for Hawkwind / Nik -fans.

The concert and the interview was made possible thanks to Evert Wysell ( a big thanks ), Soren and the boys
in DarXtar and of course Nik Turner. Also a hello to Jocke (I'm in charge here ).

As reported earlier on BOC-L there are two records by Nik planned to be released this year, one from Dossier
records and one from Cleopatra.

Me and Joe also hope that the boys will continue with their plans for an European and Scandinavian tour later
this year.

We welcome any thoughts and comments on the interview with Nik Turner.

There will also be a recension of the event in a few weeks time so stay tuned.

Henrik Hallgren and Johan Edlundh