HW: Anthologies etc

J Strobridge eset08 at CASTLE.ED.AC.UK
Mon Jan 8 14:00:45 EST 1996

> really appreciate your comments. I'm trying to understand this
> Anthology/Acid Daze thing. These were only semi-official releases which
> contained compilations of songs from earlier semi-official bootlegs? Am I on
> the right track? Well I will definitely check it with you folks first before
> I touch any of those.

The Anthology/Acid Daze stuff is actually one of the few compilations
that were officially released by Hawkwind.    Anthology 1,2 and 3 were
tracks collected and chosen by Dave Brock - not as a "best of" but as
"most memorable" in terms of his career with Hawkwind at that point.

They were released as a set of pic discs in a blue plastic sleeve with a
booklet created by Brian Tawn describing the reasons behind the choice
of each track.   It makes extremely interesting reading and I understand
that the recent re-issue of the discs in an Acid Daze box set included
the booklet.

Two Anthology CDs were issued.  The first is a straight copy of
Anthology 1 vinyl, the second is an amalgamation of Anthology 2 and 3
(with some of the best bits left out!).    However the Acid Daze CDs
reproduce every track as do the recent CD issues Anthology 1,2 and 3.

>      Does any one know if there is such a thing as a Hawkcourse offered at
> any school or institution any where in the world? Someone once said that HW
> awere rated the 33rd most collectible band in the world. Well, they have way
> more releases by far than any other band I've ever collected...

It *is* confusing since several early tapes have been issued and
re-issued under different names but were never official.   However Text
of Festival remains one of my favourites since, if you don't have access
to live early Hawkwind tapes, this is the nearest you will come to a
magnificent early Hawkwind live endless-jamming session of the type that
they used to do at the beginning of their career.    They first started
touring with a repertoire of only about 5 songs I think - so most of the
gigs were wonderfully laid back long versions of these and Text of
Festival shows this to perfection.   Don't worry about the lack of sound
quality - these are early and live and spaced man.......

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at castle.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk