HW: Acid Daze\Anth\Godwin's Book

J Strobridge eset08 at CASTLE.ED.AC.UK
Tue Jan 9 19:38:23 EST 1996

> Jill, you would be one of the most respected professors at Hawk
> U. Keep up the studies.

Thank you - I've had a good teacher over the years 8-)

> NOW...I was reading The Illustrated
> Collector's Guide To Hawkwind, by Robert Godwin, looking at the
> main releases...and it seems that The Acid Daze and the
> Anthology records...are identicle! AD 1 = Anth 1, AD 2 = Anth
> 2, etc. Even down to the cover art. So AD = Anthology, no
> difference? Also listed here are: Acid Daze - The History of
> HW, all AD lps in one set. And an Approved History of HW,
> apparently the same set. If these are all official releases,
> approved even by the band, why so many repeats? Am I just
> stupid here??

nope.   I guess the band need the money!

Approved History of Hawkwind = pic discs of Anthology 1, 2 and 3
in a blue bound folder with Brian Tawn booklet
These pic discs have recently been reissued as individual items.

Acid Daze box set = black vinyl Acid Daze 1, 2 and 3 in a box with Brian
Tawn booklet

Anthology 1,2 and 3 black vinyl = Acid Daze 1,2 and 3 black vinyl

Anthology 1 and 2 CDs (original issue) = Anthology/Acid Daze 1 vinyl + a
combination of 2 and 3 vinyl

Acid Daze CDs 1,2 and 3 (recent issue) = Anthology/Acid Daze 1,2 and 3
vinyl

I think that covers it!

> I thought I wasn't stupid, but since hitting
> Stage B Hawkdom, I'm feeling very feeble here...

Don't worry!  I'm still confused too!   However, as a rule of thumb, I
usually reckon that if the album has a Brian Tawn sanction on the cover
by way of one of his short histories then it's an official band release.
Anything else is likely to be semi- at best.

> Also, I've spoke w/Bernhard and Assassin Sonique about this
> book. Anyone else have any comments? It's a great book, but a
> little steep and cheap binding...

It came as part of a box set but, yes, it's not very substantial -
probably to save on cost I'd guess.   A pity because it's an invaluable
reference book - essential in many ways because it draws so many
different strands of info together.

However we've got a much better Codex than his........

oops

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at castle.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk