Message from Bolle

Ted O. Jackson TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Wed Jan 10 08:24:08 EST 1996

> Well, after much meditation, testing of various tongue positions, and
> heavy use of a deck of Tarot cards, I may have a partial
> translation....
>
> I think he's saying that BOC is too big a band to dirty their hands
> with the business details, and that for the band members to try to get
> involved would upset someone in the management.  (IMO, that wouldn't
> necessarily be a bad thing....)
>
> Of course, there are those who believe that the musicians should be
> free to focus only on the music, but that's a luxury, not the
> necessity Bolle seems to be trying to make it.  An increasingly
> unaffordable luxury for all bands; the days of the moderately
> sucessful bands having an army of managers is over.
>

> -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
>        Jan 11 is Save Our Browns Internet Day - Join the Jihad!
>                http://melkor.multiverse.com/sob/iday.htm
> -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
> Jean Lansford       oyster.girl at genie.geis.com      lansford at vnet.net

Jean,
Did you happen to catch the 'Rolling Stone' with the Mick Jagger
interview?  [Please, please BOC-L ers no barrage of anti RS
sentiment, I read it about once a year in the feeble hope that it
might possibly have improved]  I know it's a supreme insult to
mention BOC and Jagger in the same breath, but the interview says
that Jagger is involved in all of the Stones' tour details, to the
most minute degree.  I guess that if the frontman for the supposed
'world's greatest rock band' [we on BOC-L know better] can stoop to
book gigs, hotels, etc., then it shouldn't be too much of a leap for
our heroes to do the same.

However, that's not how I read Bolle's post.  I think he was saying
that BOC wouldn't do an indie CD because the lack of front money
would compromise the creative process by making them do a hurry-up
job.  I can buy that--to a point.  What about 'Cult Classic?' Wasn't
that an indie production?  Granted, they're all old songs, but they
were completely re-done, and the sound is great...
comments?
theo