Message from Bolle

Jean Lansford lansford at VNET.NET
Wed Jan 10 17:47:15 EST 1996

Yeah, I know Bolle is unlikely to see this, but we can still debate it
to little shreds.  <g>

So far, so good, but only if you've got a competent lawyer dealing
with the Company's lawyers.

>Without record company support, there is no financial back-up either to
>record a new album in old fashioned ways, which means a lot of Studio time
>spent on testing out ideas, doing pre-production and several recordings.

How many record companies are going to pay for that nowadays?

Given the Corporate mindset Bolle refers to later, I wouldn't expect a
company to give its artists any leeway to play around, just a minimum
of studio time to get the tracks down.  That's a big reason, I've been
told, that indie publishing has become so popular with musicians.
They have the luxury of playing around with the tracks until they're
satisfied instead of having to rush a disc out to meet the Company's
marketing schedule.

>These days there isn't even time nor money for these bands to even rehearse
>properly nor is there a budget set up for any active planning for a tour,
>record, video, whatever...

Re up front money for major tour and video, he has a point.

>You all suffer from the small mind thinking of a band being like some garage
>outfit that still book their own gigs, pay for their own rehearsals and
>recordings...

It's not that we're thinking small so much as that we expect the
companies to do so.  I'd wager most of us have based our opinions on
our own experiences with the 90s version of a corporation; this sounds
like someone expects things to be like they were in the 70s.