OFF: Floyd

Jon Jarrett jaj20 at HERMES.CAM.AC.UK
Fri Jan 12 10:22:12 EST 1996

On Fri, 12 Jan 1996, Martyn White wrote:

>         Sylvester McCoy?   Bahhh!  :-)   Much like Pink Floyd went
> completely downhill after Syd Barrett left, so did Dr. Who after
> William Hartnell left

        I'm halfway with you here: I do think Barrett, considering the
amount of acid he got through, was a worryingly good guitarist, and some
of his stuff is brilliant: I like Lucifer Sam a lot, and I heard it first
on an indie show, where it still seemed to fit...! Some of it on the
other hand shows more acid than talent: I think Floyd took a little while
to recover after he left ( although considering he now lives with his
mother as a confirmed and totally incurable chronic schizophrenic, it was
a good thing in the long run ), but once you get to Wish You Were Here,
Waters was better than Barrett ever would have been, composition-wise,
and Gilmour had come good too. I think it's a change of style, not
quality: now they're better overall, but not as trippy. But if you like
trip-rock, then obviously you'll prefer the early stuff. Anyway, just my
view. Yours,
             Jazza

P.S. But you're right about Dr. Who. Peter Davison? Yeah right...