HW Sonic Attack

M Holmes fofp at CASTLE.ED.AC.UK
Fri Jan 12 14:27:35 EST 1996

Matt Curtis writes:

> [from a letter to Fortean Times, issue 83 (October-November 1995)]

> SONIC WEAPONS Geoff Holder's questions about sonic weapons [FT77:57]
> stirred something in my memory which was more than rememberances of
> Hawkwind's `Sonic Attack'.

[...]

> The first reference I have to a working weapon is one created toward
> the end of World War II as a panicked Third Reich grasped for any
> straw to retain power.

Hmmmmm, perhaps the author missed the reference to one Joshua and a
place called Jericho in the world's most popular book?

[...]

> There were two intriguing news reports in 1994. The Russian extremist
> Vladimir Zhirinovsky claimed in February that a new "Elipton" weapon,
> which produced a massive pulse "impossible for a man", had been used
> to kill Muslim soldiers near Belgrade [FT75:6]; and Cable Bosun Roger
> Launder from Plymouth, working on the Royal Maritime Auxilary Ship
> Newton off the Florida coast, was killed in July when a "sound bomb"
> he was holding exploded prematurely (_Daily Telegraph_ 19 July).

Prior to this the US when in siege of General Noreiga's compound in
Panama played very loud music and noise (said to consist of Heavy Metal
music) to discomfit and demoralise the people under siege.  There are
also claims that similar tactics were used at Waco involving tapes of
dying rabbits screaming.

>     Andy Cobley

FoFP