HW Sonic Attack

Andrew A. Apold mordru at MAGG.NET
Fri Jan 12 15:39:44 EST 1996

>Matt Curtis writes:
>Prior to this the US when in siege of General Noreiga's compound in
>Panama played very loud music and noise (said to consist of Heavy Metal
>music) to discomfit and demoralise the people under siege.  There are
>also claims that similar tactics were used at Waco involving tapes of
>dying rabbits screaming.

I was there in Panama at the time (not in the military, I just used to live
there)...  the music didn't really stand out as anything much at the time,
just stuff the guards might enjoy and annoy Noriega.  I was a bit more
preoccupied with other matters at the time.  None of this was done during an
actual siege of a PDF building, this was only after the fighting was
primarily over when Noriega was holed up in a church building (run by LaBoa,
a priest assigned there by the Vatican) where he had been granted safe
haven.   It probably annoyed the priests and staff inside as well.

Moving onto other examples of sonic brilliance, I once remember Carl Sagan
on a TV program standing in front of some electronic gadget demonstrating
some kind of sound important to whales, I believe..  He flipped a switch
then grimaced somewhat, then adjusted a few more, then just stood there.
During the entire time, not a sound was heard.  About a minute later, he
added, "of course, your television set probably cannot emit sounds of this
frequency......"   brilliant, Holmes.