BOC: Radio Birdman

Andy Gilham AndyGilham at AOL.COM
Thu Jan 18 08:33:08 EST 1996

>It's day of coincidences.
>I found out today that Radio Birdman are playing tomorrow night. I'm not
>planning on getting there, but a work colleague will be. I'll get his
>impressions on Monday. They're being supported by Wayne Kramer (of MC5
fame).
>I don't know a lot about them, but from what I have heard, "punk" is the
>usual description.
>Pete.

All you Aussies that moan about no BOC, Hawkwind, etc tours, and you get a
show I'd give blood for!  RB are/were very Stooges/MC5 influenced - Deniz Tek
is actually from Detroit - and Wayne Kramer has made a couple of pretty good
albums lately (_Death Tongue_, _The Hard Stuff_), with contributions from
Mick Farren (Hawkwind link there - "Lost Johnny" lyricist).  Waaaay back
when, RB covered "Transmaniacon MC" - it's on an impossible-to-find bootleg
from about 1976; they put occasional lyrics like "on your feet - or on your
knees" in songs like "Do the Pop", as well as calling their album _Radios
Appear_; and they covered Stooges and 13th Floor Elevators songs as well.
 (The name "Radio Birdman" is from a Stooges song.)

I wouldn't call them "punk" especially, unless you'd call the Stooges "punk".
 I would call this one of the essential gigs of the year, though!

- Andy