HW. Entropy tango./E. Bloom

Andy Gilham AndyGilham at AOL.COM
Thu Jan 18 09:05:52 EST 1996

In a message dated 17/01/96  15:12:12, you write:

>I believe in some books a Mr Emmanuel Bloom crops up, though it's a long
>time since I read any Moorcock. But I suspect that this isn't a reference
>to Eric. Could be wrong though. Actually, Emmanuel would seem to shorted
>to "Manny", also a name that Eric is sometimes referred to by...hmm,
>interesting...

I dunno - I don't believe it's a coincidence myself; it strikes me as pretty
far-fetched - but FWIW here's the passage from _The Transformation of Miss
Mavis Ming_ [1977] in which E. Bloom introduces himself:

"Be certain," fluted the stranger, " that it is you who will come to
understand my ways.  I have no respect for customs, manners, fashions, for I
am Bloom the Eternal.  I am Bloom, who has experienced all.  I am Emmanuel
Bloom, whom Time cannot touch, whom space cannot suppress!"

"A name at last," said Doctor Volospion in apparent delight.  "We greet you,
Mr Bloom."

"That's funny," said Miss Ming, "you don't look Jewish."

- Andy