OFF: Radio Birdman Oz gigs and interview

Ted O. Jackson TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Fri Jan 19 08:14:55 EST 1996

> > Of course, when a kickass band decides to reform nearly two decades
> > after they split (even when one just keeps going for two decades)
> > some fans are going to have doubts about their ability to perform.
> > Many see it as tarnishing the legend, padding out the epitaph. Deniz
> > Tek is having none of that.
> >
> > "We're quite prepared for the myth of Radio Birdman to be destroyed
> > by this, if that's what happens," he states. "All I can tell you is
> > that we'll play as hard as we can, and if the old chemistry comes
> > back, then interesting things will happen. But if it destroys a myth
> > that somebody's carrying around, then fair enough. People should
> > focus on what's happening now, rather than myths anyway.
> >

> > "I personally would like to record again, but we just have to see
> > whether that can happen," Tek says. "I think it would be a good
> > idea. There should be more Radio Birdman songs recorded. I think
> > we're going to write a couple of songs anyway, for the tour, so that
> > we'll have a couple of new songs to play and it doesn't have to be
> > all old stuff. So there will be a couple of new Radio Birdman songs
> > performed. We just haven't talked about recording."
> >
> > It's fair that Tek should speak warily - the breakup of Radio
> > Birdman in 1979 was bitter enough to keep them apart until now...
> >
> > "It was extremely acrimonious. Some members didn't speak for ten
> > years. But it seems to be all water under the bridge now - I guess
> > 20 years is long enough for those hatchets to be buried. At least on
> > paper it looks good, and the time that we've spent together this
> > time has been good. But who knows what's going to happen when we get
> > back in the pressure cooker? A lot of times when families break up
> > and have bad splits, if they try and put it back together again, the
> > same personality problems come out again, even many years later. So
> > I wouldn't be surprised if that happened again with these guys. But
> > I'm hoping it doesn't."
> >
> > Radio Birdman play the Roxy on January 19, The Playroom on the 20th
> > and The Big Day Out at the Gold Coast Parklands on the 21st.
> >
> > SIMON McKENZIE
> >
> >                    Back to Time Off contents page
> >              (C) Copyright 1995 Time Off Publications.

Peter,
Thanks for posting such a great article.  Is there any word as to
whether Birdman will in fact record any new material?  Denniz sounds
somewhat doubtful.  Has his opinion changed.  Also, do you know if
the Birdman stuff, remastered, will be available in the U.S. or just
Australia?  Also, the article was obviously written by a real
fanatic.  Was Birdman in fact as popular as Simon believes?
theo