HW: Review - Stonehenge (TiHW,DNP)

Assassin Sonique sonique at AARDVARK.APANA.ORG.AU
Fri Jan 19 08:49:56 EST 1996

Album Review: Hawkwind - "Stonehenge: This is Hawkwind, Do Not Panic"

Band:    Hawkwind
Title:   Stonehenge: This is Hawkwind, Do Not Panic
1st:     1984
Label:   Flicknife SHARP 022
Artists: Dave Brock, Huw Lloyd-Langton, Harvey Bainbridge, Alan Davey,
         Nik Turner, Danny Thompson, Keith Hayle, Ginger Baker

This album & 12" EP set was recorded live at stonehenge, and once you
get past the picture of Nik playing the sax in his white body suit,
red mohawk, and weird face (and entire head) makeup, it's not too bad
a recording! Overall it has a good mix, with clear vocals. Now that
Hawkwind have left RCA, it seems that they are 'back to basics' with
some a fine rock album, leaving the more experimental/electronic
previous releases behind.

The album opens with _Psy Power_, and a fairly fast paced version at
that! This is probably my favourite live version of this track that I
have heard, even with the relatively uninspired keyboard work which
dominates this album. Next we are treated with the now famous
"Technicians of Spaceship Hawkwind, This is your captain speaking
...." as _Levitation_ begins. At first it seems that they are holding
something back, but overall a decent rendition. _Circles_ follows,
complete with the spacecraft machinery sounds from the studio version,
accompanied by suitably haunting guitar work. Then *POW* ... _Space
Chase_, with the most dominant synth and 'Laser Gun' electronic
effects so far. The keyboard work is a bit more inspired too!

Side two begins with a fairly lame (compared to Hawklords Live)
version of _Death Trap_. It's OK here, but is missing something. It
has the longest intro I've heard to this track, and is perhaps a
little too manic in some respects, and the vocals aren't forceful
enough .... but it is still good stuff (I'm just tired). _Angels of
Death_ is the most solid (in the 'wall of sound' respect) track on the
album, with just the right amount of fuzz applied to the guitar.
Finally, a reasonable rendition of _Shot Down in the Night_. Nowhere
near as good as the one on 'Live 79', but still better than the studio
version of Steve Swindells 'Fresh Blood' LP. The way the vocals are
sung is much closer to the studio version though.

Side three (we are up to the EP now) contains _Stonehenge Decoded_,
a strange peice with bits of everything - sort of a psychedelic jam
without the 'blanga'. Perhaps I don't have the correct combination of
chemicals in my veins. It's quite good though, but not a track you'd
play again and again. There are some Brock vocals in the middle
somewhere, and some faint Bainvridge ramblings towards the end too.

Side four is Nik's _Watching the Grass Grow_. *I* don't like this much
at all, mainly due to Turner's vocal style and general craziness.
"Post
Future Reality", or is it mid-trip fantasy?

The last track aside (which is worth having just so that you
understand it all), this is a good album to have, as it shows another
side to Hawkwind that you just don't hear on studio albums. It would
have been a great gig to be at, though I may be starved for live
entertainment for geographical reasons! If you see it, consider it by
all means.

Extra Bit:

If you are lucky enough to find an original copy, have a look at the
inscriptions in the vinyl around the label. For the less fortunate,
side one says "Don't read this play it!", side two has "When you panic
get Hawkwind", "Do you know the code" on side three, and on side four
"Watching the grass smoke". Hmmm - a comment about Uncle Nik perhaps?

Assassin Sonique'

--
Paul Ward        aka: Assassin Sonique'      .---.  __  .--------   Long
R & D Manager, P & C Micro's Pty Ltd        /     \( o`-,  -----   may