HW: non CD Tracks - the ratings

Johan Edlundh hawkjoe at EKA.ERICSSON.SE
Sat Jan 20 16:13:04 EST 1996

>\\joe, this is exactly the type of thing this class B collector has been
>figuring out in a less formal manner.  My initial goal is to get all the
>recorded songs and then....   My question to the higher level collectors is
>what is really good among these songs and what is just good.   I've not
>heard any of them.  Is the "Utopia" you have listed the same song as the
>live one on Friday Rock Sessions Reading 86?

No, that is "Arrival in Utopia".
"Utopia" is the epilogue to "Arrival..." - just synths from Utopia, plus the
never ending line of "...if you wanna get in to it, you gotta get out of it..."

  That's worth getting if it is.

the _Choose Your Masques_ album is sure worth getting...

>Rudy

yes, I found another track that's not either on CD or in the Codex -
"Hawkfan 12" - the replacement for "Countdown" on the _Hawkfan 12_ cassette.
...and I've also disqualified the "Virgin of the World" track - see below.
( + another correction to the Codex and the Discography: "Iron Dream" is at
the end on "Uncle Sam's on Mars" on the Weird 103 & related boots)

The IMHO rating of Hawkjoe:
(today I was bootstrapped in "RockTrack Mode")

hawkfan 12 - Hawkfan 12
*  just a few Brock words, a short synth gig introduction, added with Brian
Tawns  voice "Hello, welcome to the Hawkfan 12..."

     only from the weird tapes (and related boot):
weird 103 - Slap it on de Table
* just a silent freak out, not a proper track. Compare this to the "Blow on
the Jug" sequence on the end of Black Sabbath's _Sabotage_ (vinyl only).
You're making noises (and having a great moment) and someone's putting it on
tape without your knowledge.

weird 105 - Where are they Now?
*** an embryonic tune for PXR5. promising, but Where is it Now?

weird 106 - Make What You Can
**** cool ordinary hawkwind rocka rolla track!

weird 107 - Bombed Out
*** rocky instrumental, nice guitar work

weird 107 - First Landing on Medusa
** poetry track, lyrics spoken while k'bds fills the atmosphere

weird 107 - Space Travellers
** poetry track, spacey synth sound combined with a hizzy distorted voice

weird 107 - Touchdown
** k'bd based instrumental

weird 108 - Down on Her Knees
* ordinary main stream rock track, almost boring in HW hands

weird 108 - Etchanatae
* flute? rythm. k'bd. voices? weird tape filler? Nah...

weird 108 - Live and Let Live
*** spacey '73 track with "Ghost Dance" rythm section. Fuzzy guitar riffs
around. Vocals far away sometimes, down in the mud sometimes. Confusing, but
nice tune.

     from the RCA albums:
sonic attack - Disintegration
** short & distorted synth piece

sonic attack - Virgin Of The World
disqualified - shouldn't this track be under the same file as the _Church of
Hawkwind_ "Experiment with Destiny (Virgin of the World)"? It's *very* close
related - the same k'bd riff, partly the same lyrics (although the CoH is
instrumental!), the same name, the same writer - Bainbridge (although Brock
seems to have written the last 15 seconds of the CoH version)...
And Church of Hawkwind is out on CD...

sonic attack - Living On A Knife Edge
**** Rock track. Like it. "Future generation's are relying of us..."

sonic attack - Lost Chances
*** medium HW rock track

sonic attack - Streets of Fear
***** Rock track. Fuzzy, riffy guitars. Rythmic thing that forces you to move.

choose your masques - The Scan
* Bainbridge scans his keyboard, but don't find what he's seeking for;
screams out in despair... ;0)

choose your masques - Fahrenheit 451
*** rock and roll track - (hmm, somehow it makes me think of "Silver
Machine", this Brock/Calvert track...)

choose your masques - Utopia
* the epilogue to "Arrival..." - just synths from Utopia, plus the never
ending line of "...if you wanna get in to it, you gotta get out of it..."

choose your masques - Void City
*** decrease your weight with Hawkwind Light - synth based breakfast during
"the morning after" for the common HawkFan

     Brock solo efforts:
agents of chaos - Into the Realms
*** slow but intensive track. lots of noises, lots of voices.

agents of chaos - Mountain in the Sky
*** laid back instrumental. (is it really congas..? :0)

social alliance 7" - Raping Robots in the Street
**** a wall of heavy guitar riffs, distorted synths, haunted bass & a hard
driving drum machine, added with the usual effects and weird lyrics. close
to five stars!

friends and relations vol 3 - When the Going Gets Tough
**** heavy k'bds reproduce its pattern over fuzzy guitar and drum machine.

     Single b/w's:
who's gonna win... 7" - Time of?
**** - cool instrumental in the spirit of "Valium Ten". Heavy... eh,
everything - no mercy. HawkJam at its best!

angel's of death 7" - Trans Dimensional Man
*** outtake of the _Sonic Attack_. Average HW rock track.

disclaimer:
It is against all the natural laws in space that Hawkwind can produce "bad
tracks".
The stars is just a "meter" to compare one HW track to another.
Please add five stars to each track when comparing the tracks to other
artists on a five star scale. Add yet another five stars when you're using
your Yuri Gagarin Scale.
Do Not Panic.

\\joe