OFF: Radio Birdman Oz gigs and interview

Peter Sondergeld p.sondergeld at QUT.EDU.AU
Wed Jan 24 21:37:18 EST 1996

>Peter,
>Thanks for posting such a great article.  Is there any word as to
>whether Birdman will in fact record any new material?  Denniz sounds
>somewhat doubtful.  Has his opinion changed.  Also, do you know if
>the Birdman stuff, remastered, will be available in the U.S. or just
>Australia?  Also, the article was obviously written by a real
>fanatic.  Was Birdman in fact as popular as Simon believes?
>theo

I passed these questions on to Tony, and he composed this message for the list.
Pete.

Hi all,

Just a quick follow up to the last posting re a few queries.  I'd say it's
possible that there would be enough material between the guys to get an
album together.  Tek has already put out a couple of solo efforts, both
reviewed very well, too.  Actually someone should do this guy's story.
Phantom fighter pilot, doctor, and geetar player extraordinaire.  Rob
Younger and the others may well have material also.  I think they may have
aired a couple of newies at the gig on Friday night.  Sounded pretty strong
to me.  Whether or not they can get it together enough to handle the studio
trip remains to be seen

Birdman were always very big in Europe so it's possible that their
remastered material may well be distributed through points far from Oz.  I'd
say in the U.S. your eager-to-please music shops should be able to get their
stuff for you.  If not, find someone somewhere who can.

Radio Birdman have become Oz rock legends.  Sometimes legends are built
around myths, distortion, or just plain bullshit.  In the late 70s when
these guys were in full flight their gigs attracted a lot of attention.
They were a fairly attractive alternative to disco, glam, and big-barn rock
concerts.  Their gigs were often sparsely separated, so punters had to go
out of their way to catch them.  And when they did it was usually a BIG
event.  Live, RB are impossible to ignore.  There's just too much energy.
You gotta move.  And that's one of the main reasons why they were, and
remain, so popular.  I'm 43, and I was banging my head with the best of them
the other night (er, I draw the line at crowd surfing, though).  But they're
a musician's band, too.  I mean, they can play.  I urge you to check 'em out
one way or another.  They are legend.

Catch ya,

Tony

Peter Sondergeld