BS: Brain Surgeons fans Rise - 1 true story

Rudich, Robert A Rudich at VOLPE2.DOT.GOV
Wed Jan 24 12:34:00 EST 1996

Saw this following note on another music list.  The writer didn't mention
where he saw this article. so I can't verify the claim.  It does seem
apropos.

>On another note, score another victory for the masses. I just read an
>article on the affect the internet has had on the music industry. It
>seems the typical annual megaselling hit albums have been recording poor
>sales this year. According to the article, this is attributed to more
people
>going in to record stores looking for little known releases they'd heard
>about on the 'net.

My story with BS.  Prior to joining the list, I didn't think I'd heard of
them and wasn't initially inclined to buy their music.  The name of the band
(which shouldn't matter) evoked thoughts that they were some loud,
alternative type band that had 1 sound and all songs a variation on that.
 They were coming to town, so I bought the music based on the comments on
this list and got ready to see a show.   Live, they really got to me.  When
I heard "Language of Love" performed I realized that I had heard Oedipus
play it on 'BCN many months ago.  He even did a build up intro before he
played it.  At that time the mellow sound of it didn't fit the band name or
the other music being played, so it didn't make any real impression.  Nice,
nothing else (now it is a favorite).

Bolstered by the live event, I then spun the discs for the 1st time.  What a
range of sounds on the songs and very rich production.   A level of
sophistication that I never suspected would be there.  Few current bands can
match this range and polish.  I've tried to get some friends interested in
them, but they just didn't seem to want to bite.  They also thought it was
some loud band that I'd had too much to drink when I saw them.  Played some
songs and won them over.  Seems the hearing is the key, but as mentioned
above, repeated net notes have an impact.

In addition to mentioning BS to various mags., it may help to bring them up
regularly on other net forums.   If someone gets curious, they may find they
too are very pleasantly surprised and they will mention it on the same list,
starting a chain reaction.

Rudy