BOC: Lost Christabel

Hardman DK D.K.Hardman at CITY.AC.UK
Fri Jan 26 06:04:47 EST 1996

On Thu, 25 Jan 1996, Andrew A. Apold wrote:

> I was going over the "Interpretation of Imaginos" by Bryce (on one of the
> BOC pages), and noticed in the section that nobody was really certain where
> "Christabel" (as in "Lost Christabel") was located.  It mentioned
> speculation as to a real or mythical city in Mexico....

I'm sure this is rerunning an earlier debate, but I can't see how Lost
Christabel is anywhere except in Cornwall. That's where the song begins;
the lighthouse at Lost Christabel is at "the strand where Grandad's house
was built"; and as Grandad's house is in Cornwall, so must Lost
Christabel be. It's a simple syllogism.
   It's probably just a coincidence, but there is in Cornwall a place
name prefixed with "Lost". There's a place called Withiel, and there's
also a place called Lostwithiel. I've no idea how common it is around the
world to prefix place names with the word "Lost" though.

Dave