BS: Brain Surgeons fans Rise - 1 true story

Fri Jan 26 09:13:07 EST 1996

Since I started this request for us all to "Rise and Reverberate", I
thought I'd share an e-mail which I have recently sent to numerous
publications.  Those of you interested in furthering this cause might
get some ideas from it to write your own letters.

John

To whom it may concern:

As a big fan of hard rock music, I would like to request that your publication
consider providing coverage of a band which, in my opinion, produces some of
the finest music in this genre today:  The Brain Surgeons.

Formed by the husband/wife team of ex-Blue Oyster Cult drummer Albert
Bouchard, and noted rock critic Deborah Frost (who's writing credentials
include The Village Voice, Rolling Stone, Entertainment Weekly, The New York
Times, Creem, Spin, and Musician, to name a few), they have self-produced two
CD's which are sonic masterpieces -- excellent drum work, solid bass, gritty
guitars, and dynamic vocals.  While the music is mostly hard rock, many other
styles are sprinkled throughout - grunge, punk, techno, soft rock, funk, "70's-
sounding" rock, and heavy metal.  The band's two albums are entitled
"Eponymous" and "Trepanation", and were released in 1994 and 1995
respectively under the band's own label, Cellsum Records.  Both releases were
later picked up on the Ripe and Ready label ("Eponymous" in 1994, and
"Trepanation" is scheduled to be released in February of this year).  If you
can't find the CDs, write to the Cellsum label for information:

Cellsum,
P.O. Box 1070
Fort George Station
New York, N.Y.  10040

There is also currently a web page dedicated to the band at the following URL:
http://www.NovPapyrus.com/bs/

I would be happy to provide more information if you would like, including a
list of comments and reviews by both fellow internet music-lovers who have
been exposed to The Brain Surgeons, or reviews from other music publications.
Everyone I know that has been exposed to this band has had nothing but good
things to say about them - and many of those people are very picky about the
music that they listen to.  I also have some personal notes and reviews of their
albums and of 3 shows of theirs in the Boston area which I have attended.

My recommendation is that your publication strongly consider reviewing The
Brain Surgeons' music (I would recommend "Trepanation" first, as it is most
current, and more closely resembles their live sound) or concert performances
(they perform in the New York/New England area -- I can provide concert
information as I receive it, or it may be available on the afore-mentioned web
page), and perhaps doing an article on the band, or it's members.

Thank you,
John Swartz

NOTE:  This is really just a "preliminary" letter that I've sent out,
as I intend to forward many comments and reviews that we've done on the
band as well.  For those who are looking for e-mail web addresses to
forward comments to, here's a few that I've been able to find:

ROLLING STONE:  e-mail:  info at rstone.com
CIRCUS MAGAZINE:  e-mail:  circusmag at aol.com
GUITAR WORLD:  http://www.guitarworld.com
ADDICTED TO NOISE (very cool on-line magazine):
     http://www.adict.com/ATN/
GUITAR PLAYER:
     http://www.dc.enews.com/magazines/guitar_player
     http://www.dc.enews.com/cgi-bin/makecomment?Name=Guitar+Player
MODERN DRUMMER:
     http://www.dc.enews.com/magazines/mod_drum/
     http://www.dc.enews.com/cgi-bin/makecomment?Name=Modern+Drummer
VILLAGE VOICE:
     http://www.dc.enews.com/magazines/village/
     http://www.dc.enews.com/cgi-bin/makecomment?Name=Village+Voice,+The
SPIN:
     http://www.dc.enews.com/magazines/spin/
     http://www.dc.enews.com/cgi-bin/makecomment?Name=Spin+Magazine
BILLBOARD:
     http://www.billboard-online.com/
     e-mail:  Epubb at ix.netcom.com

GUITARIST Magazine (UK publication only?):
     http://www.music-net.co.uk/Guitarists.html
Total Guitar (UK publication only?):
     http://www.futurenet.co.uk/music/totalguitar.html
The BOSTON PHOENIX (Boston newspaper with lots of music coverage):
     http://www.bostonphoenix.com
     http://www.bostonphoenix.com/alt1/standard/feedback.html
NEW ENGLAND ROCKS (New England music magazine):
     http://metro.turnpike.net/~nerocks/nerocks.html
     e-mail:  NERocks at aol.com
PIT REPORT (New England music magazine):
     e-mail:  pit-report at pit.com
LOLLIPOP (New England music magazine):
     e-mail:  feedback at Lollipop.com

If anyone has more addresses, please post.

John