BOC - 1/25/96 in Santa Cruz

Rob Maerz ROBODUDE at AOL.COM
Sat Jan 27 12:57:50 EST 1996

Still, people were yelling for Astronomy and Buck's
>Boogie, but they didn't play either...

they still play those 2 songs at times...

>Eric announced a new song from their upcoming 1996 album (I've been
>waiting for this new album since '92; it's always just about to come
>out), but it was just "Harvest Moon" again. They usually play some songs
>from "Bad Channels", but not tonight.

I didn't see them play any Bad Channels songs in 95...Demon's Kiss is a perty
decent song that grew on me, and would be an upbeat crowd pleaser, as well as
the Horseman Arrive...they just added Harvest Moon to the set again, and it
sounds alot better now than it ever did...HM is a good tune...

>Anyway, on to "Before The Kiss, A Redcap", then another 'new' song, "I'd
>Like To See You In Black".

What was the crowd response to See You In Black?  everytime I've seen it
played live it has gotten a great response...probly the best tune out of the
new batch...

>Eric announced that Alan would be playing guitar "on a stool!" for the
>next song, "In Thee", and after a few guitar problems he started in (if
>they're going to do songs from Mirrors with Alan, why not do "Lonely
>Teardrops" with that neat Clavinet intro? Oh well...)

Lonely Teardrops would probly never happen live...BOC had plans of having a
2-3 song "acoustic" set, but that never surfaced...the other 2 songs were to
be She's As Beautiful As A Foot and the Great Sun Jester...If my memory
serves me well, they did indeed play Sun Jester at least once live last
year...I haven't heard much about plans for the acoustic set lately, but I
hope they put Reaper in there for a change of pace...

>After was "Lips In The Hills" from 'Cultosaurus Erectus', the only song
>they played from that album (they didn't play anything from 'Imaginos',
>either -- is that because Al Bouchard isn't with them anymore?)

from the mouth of EB "if ya wanna hear Imaginos live, go to a Brain Surgeons
gig"

>Then came a string of their hits - "Burnin' for You" (which I thought
>they'd follow with "Still Burnin'" from something Eric said, but it
>didn't happen), then of course...

Still Burnin is another fantastic tune...I would like to see this one added
to the set following Burnin For You and perhaps Dancin In The Ruins...

>'Twas a good night, but I wanted to hear "M.E. 262", "Astronomy",
>"Veteran of the Psychic Wars", "Astronomy", "Take Me Away", and maybe a
>little "Astronomy" to cap it off. I would have liked "Still Burnin'"
>again, too, but... hey, maybe they'll actually come out with their new
>album this year...

I heard that Take Me Away was going to be retired for awhile, but I never
grew tired of seeing that one played live, much like ETI...ME 262 was a
staple in the set in 95, and I am glad that they are taking that one
out...hopefully they will be adding The Vigil this year sometime...

>I saw a guy there with a "Blue Oyster Cult Online" shirt with the Reaper
>at a monitor with the sign of Cronos on it. I haven't been on the boc-l
>list for a couple of years - did they finally get together and make that
>shirt? Or is this something else? There was a guy at a table for the
>"BOC Fan Club" with an AOL address, but he wasn't there afterward...

this is the BOC / AOL Online t-shirt...this was intended to be a "limited
edition" t-shirt for the AOL BOC fans, with some extras sold at BOC
shows...the BOC-L shirt is the one that says Nethawks on it with
Stonehenge...I got em all, including the Four Winds Bar / Underbelly Online
t-shirt that you might see some of the band members wearing at the gigs...

ROBO