HW: where do I start?

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Mon Jan 29 13:53:01 EST 1996

> I've been into HW for about a year now (and lurking on this list for much
> of that time). Unfortunately, the stuff is hard to find around here. All I
> have are LIVE CHRONICLES, IT IS THE BUSINESS..., and seven or eight boots.
> I just turned on one of the guys over at the record shop to HW, so we're
> gonna start ordering some stuff. What I want to know is, where do I start?
> What do you suggest? Should I go with a $75 box set or are there are
> certain set of albums that I can't live without?

        The 4CD set is a pretty good sampler of the band's history, and
does have a couple of tracks unavailable elsewhere at present (mind you,
every track ever recorded by Hawkwind is destined to end up on a
compilation entitled _Master of the Universe_ at some point ;) but I
would suggest getting a couple of 'real' albums.

        No Hawkfan should be without _Space Ritual_.  It is a defining
recording of classic Hawkwind.  I would also strongly urge _Hall of the
Mountain Grill_ and the live _Palace Springs_.

        If I had to rebuild my HW collection (gods forfend!) that is where
I would start.

Cheers,
Carl