OFF: Re: Hawkzine #4/MM

Chris Bates C.D.Bates at SHEFFIELD.AC.UK
Tue Jan 30 04:41:07 EST 1996

Carl wrote:

>         Amusingly enough, I once read an interview with the Grateful Dead,
> archetypical spirits of the 60s that they were, in which they were asked
> why they got into rock music.  They admitted that after the phenomenal
> success of the Beatles they were hoping to make a lot of money and get
> women to scream for them ;)

I don't think the Dead were ever about the spirit of the 60s (whatever
that was). OK they played at the acid tests but that was being in the
wrong place at the wrong time. And yes they lived in a communal house
for a while but that was poverty. Certainly their lyrics don't have
any of that tree-hugging look at the lovely flowers shit that you get
from real hippy-casualties.

In fact a lot of their songs are about working class people trying
to get by and are quite gritty. And some-time Dead lyricist and
net freedom fighter John Barlow is a right-wing Republican......

>         Well, it took them 20 years before they made a lot of money.

And what a lot of money they made. Surely the most successful live act
of all time!

> Can't really say how successful they were at getting women to scream
> for them ... ;)

I would think that women would scream AT them not FOR them (PigPen
and Garcia were hardly pin-ups!)

Chris