The band, fans, etc

SKARSOL skarsol at IX.NETCOM.COM
Thu Jul 4 07:26:40 EDT 1996

M Holmes wrote:

> I should preface this by commenting that I've just got back at some
> unreasonable hour from a night's drinking and chatting to Jill where
> Ron's comment about the kindness of the band came up in conversation.
>
> Anyway, Ron basically said that he'd met the band on his trip and that
> they were some of the best people he'd ever met and given my very brief
> meetings with them I'd happily agree.
>
> However, I'd also like to add that in the seventy or so Hawkwind gigs
> I've been to, I'd like to make the same comment about *all* the fans
> I've met.  I've almost never been to a gig I didn't end up sharing a
> taxi, meal, eightsome reel (I'm not kidding), traded tapes, chatted to,
> got totalled with, etc, various other fans.  A Hawkwind gig in the last
> few years has been like a roving party.  So Ron, Bill and their
> ladyfriends, Mike W, Andy, Rob, Andy G, Ande T, Trev, Steve, Brian, Tim,
> Snail, Gordon, Angus, Jill, Ade, Dave, Gavin, Paul, Bernhard, Rainer,
> Steven, and other fans, crew, and assorted heads at rock festivals who
> have made it more than rewarding to travel hundreds of miles to be
> there: I couldn't possibly have even imagined meeting a better bunch of
> people.  As much as the band, you folks are the reason I'm there. It's
> as much part of the gigs and memories as the band and it's been great to
> meet you all. If only the world were smaller and everyone could meet for
> a beer the way they do on the Net. I don't say it easily but I've never
> met anyone at a Hawkwind gig I wouldn't more than happily count as a friend.
>
> FoFPi agree with you on these points mike.all i was trying to say was that
the band and esp. brock have taken some fair amount of knocks,being
called greedy,cold,aloof,and worse,and from what i can see,these
statements cannot be true,but probably based on some mispercieved
action or statement,or people making judgements without knowing any real
details. i think it is easy to see why most fans respect and even like
each other.we all have a common interest,and it is an interest in
something that is not for everyone.
you are right i think,out of all the hw fans i've met over the years,
i can count on one hand those who i've been wary of, or who have been
obnoxious or out of line.and something tells me those few have been
people who are not actually fans,but people who are only interested
in the band because that's who's on tonite.
  at the ipswitch gig,there was a man in the balcony who was confined
to a wheel chair.his family said he had about five days to live.
brock was not in a terrific mood after that show,but still, he braved
the maddening crowd to make his way up to see this man,because the
guy really wanted to meet him before passing on.i dunno, i jus' thought
that was kind of special.
  and i've never met a listmember i didn't want to know.even the ones
who flame me:).
   the band knew we came all that way to see THEM.they took time out of
their busy schedules to try to make our trip special,something that
we did not expect.unlike most other rockstars might have,they did not
treat us as annoying fans, but more as visiting friends.

   please pardon my babbling.   rj