off: UK slang?

Richard Lockwood richard.lockwood at TPD.CO.UK
Fri Jul 5 15:11:49 EDT 1996

>Just curious as to the meaning of 'Chuffed?'  I seem to remember
>Falstaff calling the victims of his raiding party 'ye fat chuffes.'
>What is a chuff, and what is being chuffed?
>theo

A 'chuff' is slang for 'arsehole' or 'ringpiece' (as in the phrase "As tight as a gnat's chuff" - meaning to be very careful with money.)
Being 'chuffed' however, means to feel extremely pleased with oneself.
Bizarre eh?

Cheers,

Rich.

** The grave of Karl Marx is just another Communist plot **