HW: San Jose Music Stores

Craig Shipley craigs at PYRAMID.COM
Fri Jul 5 11:40:22 EDT 1996

Doug spewed these electrons across my screen...

> PS I'm off to San Jose, CA for two weeks any tips on good records shops
>    or clubs to see live music, anyone?

> Doug Bates
> Systems Analyst
> Univ. of Alabama at Birmingham
> Voice (205) 934-9087  Fax (205) 975-7129
> Email dbates at uab.edu

Well, first of all, you are entering the Realm Of Ranjit Padmanabhan, Mecca
for Progressive and Electronic Music. While he is 99% mail-order, I have met
with the man to make my purchases. I have gotten some stellar recommendations
from him (i.e., he introduced me to the Ozrics via STRANGITUDES). You can try
emailing him to see if you can set up a meeting, but remember that this
business isn't really a business, more of a service to us Prog-heads. He has
a family and a real job, so expect your request to be low on the totem pole.
Never hurts to ask, though. And he knows some _great_ Indian restaurants.
(Hint, hint!)

There is another fairly good store (by CA standards, by GA standards, this
place is an excellent store) on El Camino Real called The CD Wherehouse.
They have a small (last time I was there) Prog section with affordable
pricing. They _used_ to have a great selection of ROIO's, but that may have
changed. Excellent location for Camel CD's (the creative force of Camel lives
in Mountain View). The Tower Records on San Antonio is pretty good, too.
I remember going to Streetlights' in downtown SJ about 10 years ago, but
mostly found rare vinyl (CD's were still rare at the time).

There are numerous other stores in the area that have good selections, but I
haven't frequented them. Ameoba and Rasputins (I think Rasputins' is still
around) are supposed to have good Prog selections, but this is just what I
have heard...oh yeah, these are in Berkeley. The Tower in downtown SF was
quite nice, also.

Best bet beyond this is to get out the phone book and do some exploring,
that's what I do! Haven't hit the club scene there, but it is quite active.
And don't miss the Faultline, Stoddard's and The Tied House for some supurb
microbrews! Birks is a favorite haunt of mine, excellent food and u-brews
from all over the West coast! Have fun!
      -m------- Craig Shipley   aka: craigs at pyramid.com
    ---mmm----- Pyramid Technology Corporation, a Siemens Nixdorf Co.
  -----mmmmm--- 1100 Johnson Ferry Rd. Suite 400