HW: Love On 2 CDs

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Tue Jul 9 11:58:30 EDT 1996

On Tue, 9 Jul 1996, SKARSOL wrote:

> Paul Mather wrote:
>
> > Actually, since the average Hawkwind gig appears to be just over two
> > hours, my question is this: how would they fill up the extra 30--40
> > minutes a 2CD set affords?  Did they vary their setlist enough to have 160
> > minutes of music from that tour, without repeating themselves?  (I guess
> > they could take the longest version of each song for use, but that wouldn't
> > necessarily employ the best versions.)not trying to be contrary paul,but i personally have never seen them
> play for two hours.out of the fifteen or so shows i've attended,they all
> seem to be tailored to fill 90 minutes exactly,or close enough that it
> doesn't matter.and that really bites,since at least two out of four
> band-members are still ready to go at the end of that interval.  rj

It was incorrect of me to say "the average Hawkwind gig," as that can
encompass a large sample size (and one going back many years). :-)  I had a
recollection that many of the recent reviews of the UK and Europe gigs put
them at around 2 hours, and that is what I meant.  But my memory could
easily be playing tricks with me (especially as it is trying to jostle
with concepts and proofs from NP-completeness right now:).

But what you say only exacerbates the problem I mentioned; there is even
more "space" to fill in order to *fill* a 2CD live set.

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: Monster Magnet, _Spine of God_

e-mail: paul at csgrad.cs.vt.edu                    A stranger in a strange land.

Homework problem:  Let X(D) be a random variable denoting the length of a
Hawkwind gig on date D.  Calculate E[X(D)] and Var[X(D)], stating any
assumptions you make (such as underlying distribution, etc.)... ;-)