OFF: ID4 (was SETI, ETs, acronyms up the wazoo)

David Zeiger dzeiger at NETCOM.COM
Wed Jul 10 17:21:19 EDT 1996

> And you're not the only one who cringes at the lack of consistency
> between Hollywood physics and actual physics.  E.g., *no* nuclear bomb
> will destroy an object 1/4 the mass of the moon, I don't think. (I could
> be wrong.)

By itself?  Probably not.  No more so than 2 lowly proton torps from
an X-Wing could have taken out the Death Star.  But it's certainly
plausible that the explosion took out components necessary to keep
the main power supply from blowing up.

For me, the "stupid nuclear tricks" came when they used *one* nuke
against the city-ship, and when that didn't work, they gave up...

            David Zeiger              dzeiger at netcom.com

Windows 95: The Dracula of Operating Systems--it sucks up all your
memory, bleeds your hard drive dry, and only works an average of
12 hours out of every 24.