HW: NEWS FLASH !!!!

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Thu Jul 11 08:40:18 EDT 1996

> I'm probably enough of an old fart to be irritated by the way discussions of
> popular music often get subverted into discussions of marketing.  I also find
> it curious that discussions swing from dissing record companies, management,
> etc because "they're only in it for the money", to dissing them for showing
> insufficient business acumen!

        Ah, but it often depends on who's opinion is appearing at the
moment, rather than changing opinions from a given individual.

> So someone underestimated demand for merchandise!  I would probably tend to a
> low estimate myself, on the grounds that I'd rather sell out of everything
> and lose a few sales, than be stuck with lots unsold.  A mistake in
> hindsight, sure, but then again so was putting a fiver on England to beat
> Switzerland 1-0 :(

        True, but that doesn't jeopardise a tour for US Hawkfans.  If
Hawkwind can't make money playing in the States then they won't go there
and a lot of US Hawkfans will be out of luck!  Thus whether or not
Hawkwind knew how many T-shirts to sell is a serious issue in determining
whether a lot of people will get to see the band.  The fans may not
care about money, but if _someone_ doesn't there won't be a band for
there to be fans _of_.

        And then, I suppose, it wouldn't matter .... :(

Cheers,
Carl

Carl Edlund Anderson                           "So that's Terra.  Oohwee,
cea20 at cus.cam.ac.uk                             look out wenchlings, here
http://wjh-www.harvard.edu/~canders/hem.html    come the Hawklords."
cea20 at cus.cam.ac.uk                                -Lord Lemmy (Hawkwind)