HW: NEWS FLASH !!!!

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Thu Jul 11 15:56:11 EDT 1996

> Well, as stealthy as some of the HW tours have been over here. I can see
> where it would be hard to anticipate the turnout at a gig. Advance ticket
> sales was probably not a good enough "tool" to anticipate the final turnout.
> So, the band (DS?) took a SWAG and came up on the low side as far as the
> goodies were concerned. So, they didn't have to leave for the Youkay with
> 5000 unsold tee's was probably seen as a good business move. Nobody wins;
> the tour didn't make as much money as it could have, to the loss of the band
> and to the perception that the US is a losing proposition. And the fans get
> shafted, no T-shirt, no hard-to-find CD or tour poster/programme, unless you
> were at the first gig or two...

        Well, they could have at least made sure to have enough stuff to
sell to balance the books _IF_ they sold it all.  Is that basic marketing
or what?  I mean, if you don't even give yourself the opportunity to
break even .....

        I'm just a lowly humanties scholar and *I* can figure that one
out ;)

        Besides, if they designed the t-shirts right they could just sell
them again on the next tour--worked for Metallica ;)  Or sell them
by mail-order through Griffin-they were trying something like that
*anyway*- after the tour if any were left over.

Cheers,
Carl

Carl Edlund Anderson                           "So that's Terra.  Oohwee,
cea20 at cus.cam.ac.uk                             look out wenchlings, here
http://wjh-www.harvard.edu/~canders/hem.html    come the Hawklords."
cea20 at cus.cam.ac.uk                                -Lord Lemmy (Hawkwind)