Latest news on Roswell

Andrew A. Apold mordru at MAGG.NET
Fri Jul 12 08:25:05 EDT 1996

>Hi all,

>Apprantly the gig is to be televised to make up for the small venue
>arrangements, they say that there is only hotel accomodation in the area for
>around 1000 and couldn't put on a 'festival' as such, just a small outdoor gig.

Um, there may only be one hotel, but there is plenty of camping areas nearby
(especially in the nearby Lincoln National Forest and the Sacramento Mountains,
about 45 minutes to the west).  This is a beautiful area, primarily pine forest,
 much nicer than the rather bland dry scrub you get down at
the base of the mountains.

If people are looking into other areas nearby to stay (and presumably up at
night
anyways looking for UFO's), this would be a fine choice.   I'm going camping
there
next week, (up near Cloudcroft), I usually camp there once a year...

Recently there was a big problem with fires but they've gotten plenty of
rain lately
so all fire restrictions have ended.  But overall it doesn't rain much (this
time of
year is when they get their most), so weather would likely hold up for any
outdoor
events...

Were I going to this gig (still haven't heard dates) I would probably do
this; especially if
it's summer when it's much nicer and cooler in the mts than down in Roswell...

Oh, and Doug, there's plenty of good backpacking there.  And if it's in the
winter,
Cloudcroft claims it's the southernmost ski resort in the U.S.... Other
nearby things
to check out include Carlsbad caverns and White Sands...

Andrew A. Apold, aka                        "I was corrupt before I had power!"
Roger Shrubstaff                                 - Random, upon being accused
Guildmaster of Reeves                          of being corrupted since
Barony of Silverwater                             becoming King....
Kingdom of the Burning Lands                (Roger Zelazny, d. 1995)