T shirts

Stephen Swann swann at MINDVOX.COM
Fri Jul 12 09:29:36 EDT 1996

Andy Gilham writes:

> Paul suggests
>
> >Surely a good idea would be to take along a boatload of "Hawkwind"
> >t-shirts
> [snip! like maybe whoever's having problems should do to their cat :)]
>
> The downside of this is you have to tie up a load of capital in t-shirts.
>
> This is only my impression, but I get the feeling that band t-shirts aren't
> as popular (at least in England) as they used to be - I recall real scrums to
> get the latest goodies back in the '70s/early '80s, but now you just see one
> or two people, and they're usually just saying, "nice shirt"...  Maybe it's
> different in the States, and that's the reason for the under-estimate (as
> well as erring on the side of caution).

In the US, concert T's are still the way to visibly demonstrate your
fandom.  Although, at a concert, it's considered the height of cool
to be wearing the T from a tour ten years previous.  :-)

Although, that reminds me of a sort of funny story, about the
Tragically Hip.  Apparently at a concert a couple of weeks ago, some
fan spent the first half of a concert waving a t-shirt at the band,
probably to show what a big fan he was.  Anyway, he eventually pitched
it onto the stage, where Gord Downie, T.Hip's singer, picked it up
and said, "Thanks man! <laugh>  You were driving me crazy with
this thing!"  ;-)

Steve
swann at panix.com