Off: Magnog

Allan T Grohe Jr iscladoc at FALCON.CC.UKANS.EDU
Sat Jul 13 02:49:36 EDT 1996

Hello everyone,

While browsing through the newstuff in the HW-esque section of Love
Garden, I ran across a band called Magnog.  Initially attracted by
the cover--a tree top silhouetted against a galaxy against a cloudy
sky, done in a copper wash; very nice--I gave them a cursory enough
listen in store to go "neat" and buy it.  (They had the double lp also,
but I think they're the same material--ie, no extra tracks, etc. on lp/cd).

Important info:  (cd/lp release is eponymous; Krank 010; Kranky
[Records I assume], POBox 578743, Chicago IL 60657; band info: Magnog,
POBox 913, Edmonds, WA 98020).  $14 cd or double lp.

Tracks:

lost landing            5:46    inst
relay                   12:25   inst
learning forgetfulness  07:32   vox = read poem
shapeshifter            14:35   inst
a moments [sic] seam    4:43    vox
borne upon waves        15:23   inst
frame of reference      10:59   inst
loom                    5:55    inst

Band:

dana shinn--drums, percussion; some 12 string gtr, moog, vox
jeff reilly--bass; some elec gtr and moog
phil drake--elec gtr & delay; poem

I'm listening to it now, and have to confirm my earlier opinion that it
reminds me a lot of acoustic-style ISoS, HotMG in general, and other
early HW stuff; not all of the time, but a fair bit.

Might be worth checking out...

Allan.

Allan T. Grohe, Jr.                     Vice President Communications
iscladoc at falcon.cc.ukans.edu            Event Horizon Productions, Inc.

Visit the Dreaming City: http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~iscladoc/imrryr.html

        "Farewell, friend.  I was a thousand times more evil than thou."
                        - Michael Moorcock, _Stormbringer_