HW: U.S. Tour, VENUES (Dallas)

Damon C Capehart dcapehar at UTDALLAS.EDU
Sun Jul 14 02:58:04 EDT 1996

O.K., first of all I'd like to say it's a shame that The Basement ceased
to exist about three years ago, because it'd be the perfect venue for HW
otherwise.  Anyway, on with the venues that actually exist:

Deep Ellum Live: This would be perfect too.  Capacity is about 1000, I
think (like I said, I'd have to check to be sure).  The Orb played here
last summer, and the venue fit their superb light show perfectly.  I also
saw Bjork there.  It was good too, though of course she didn't have as
much of a light show.  Phone advertised: (214)748-6222.  Address:  2727
Canton St.; Dallas, TX 75226.

Trees:  Great venue, capacity about 7-800.  This is where the Ozrics
played during their ONE AND ONLY tour of the States.  This is also where
Nik played the first time in '94.  The stage is a bit small, but
somehow they fit the entire Ozrics light show in there.  (214)748-5009.
Address:  2707 Elm St.; Dallas, TX 75226.

Anyone else in Dallas, please feel free to add any more info on Dallas.

------ Begin tirade mode ------
May I also point out, once again, the following:  Even though HW has
toured the states ... how many times now?  They have *never* gotten
within even a few *hundred* miles of Texas!  I personally would like to
know why the South in general (excluding Atlanta, for some reason) seems
to have been discarded as unworthy of many bands, including Hawkwind.
Are there misconceptions and rumours floating around in the U.K. about
this part of the U.S.?  Is it REALLY that hard-to-get-to (to use a
hyphenated word used recently by Trey Gunn of King Crimson)?  Dallas
can't possibly be as "hard-to-get-to" as Los Angeles.  It's what... a 5
hour drive from San Fran?  Dallas is 4 hours from Austin, 5 from Houston,
and anyone else can give other stats.  Furthermore, HW has been to cities
such as Minneapolis, Sommervelle, Milwaukee, and Kansas City, all with
populations fewer than Dallas, and much fewer than the Dallas/Ft.Worth
metroplex.
------ End tirade mode ------

Damon Capehart        | "I think we should eliminate semicolons from the
aka Le Monsieur       |  English language; nobody uses them anymore
dcapehar at utdallas.edu |  anyway." - one of Dilbert's anonymous coworkers