HW: U.S. Tour, VENUES (Dallas)

Keith A Henderson khenders at MAGNUS.ACS.OHIO-STATE.EDU
Sun Jul 14 13:33:03 EDT 1996

Allan says...

> Yes, but from what I recall from talking to HW management/promotion folks
> from last US tour, HW was hitting the major cities en route.  And I think
> that route was I-70, which would explain the focus on more northern
> cities.

Nah....must've been I-80, a bit further north.  If they'd gone along I-70,
they'd have come through Pittsburgh, here in Columbus, and then to
Indianapolis.  AFAIK, they haven't played any of those cities on any of the
four recent tours.  But that hasn't been such a big deal to me, as travelling a
bit north to Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, etc. is nothing.  Nothing
like being shut out entirely like the south (bar the anomalous gig in Atlanta
last year) or Australia & Japan for that matter.  But maybe it *is* time to
come up with a new route.  There's nothing wrong with playing in what they
consider to be their key markets (NYC, Toronto, Cleveland, Chicago, west coast)
still, but there's plenty of territory out there that would consider Hawkwind
coming a 'new' thing (like we thought in 1989).  The problem is getting these
people in say, Miami, New Orleans, Kansas City, St. Louis, Dallas, Charlotte,
etc. informed, ie. who Hawkwind was, is, and is not (Nik's band).  Obviously,
these gigs would not be of the >1,000 variety, but as long as an efficient
travel plan was constructed (presumably not an easy task), a 4-5 week tour
could be possible, which could mean that the initial costs of overseas flights
and general overhead not related to 'per diem' would be divided up over many
more gigs.

> Perhaps if someone just put together various AAA-like Triptick
> (sp?) routes for them, or we actually collaborated on a convenient route
> (that would get the band to each of our respective backyards, of course),
> the band might be able to hit less standard stops more easily???

Yeah, great, is anyone here an expert in GIS??  This would make a great
Arc/Info project, assuming you could come up with a good algorithm for
determining Hawkwind demographics.  I think we could perhaps apply some of the
'Tap' factors to the general population of the US to determine who might likely
be interested in attending a HW show.

Keith H. (FAA)