BOC: Bloom slashing his palm

M R Godwin hssmrg at BATH.AC.UK
Tue Jul 16 12:55:06 EDT 1996

On Tue, 16 Jul 1996, John A Swartz wrote:

> Anyone out there ever see a BOC show where Eric Bloom would simulate slashing his
> palm during the show?  I've heard reports that he used to do this (during the early
> 90's I believe, but perhaps in the 80's as well?) during "Unknown Tongue" (while
> singing the lyric, "then she took her father's razor, and watched it cut into her
> palm").  I never saw it, and was wondering how the effect looked from the audience.

Here is a para from my review of Albert's last gig, Dunstable Civic Hall,
August 1981:

"The pluses: Buck's amazing E-bow feedback noise on HEAVY METAL BLACK AND
SILVER; Albert hammering the snaredrum stand into something like a CB
aerial in a crosswind for a shattering version of Michael Moorcock's
answer to 'Apocalypse Now', VETERAN OF THE PSYCHIC WARS; and of course
Eric Bloom holding the act in one piece, moving round the stage like a
prowling vampire as he slashed blood from his palm in UNKNOWN TONGUE".

It looked good to me, but I can't see it going over in an astrodome! Only
seen him do this stunt once, though.

Do you remember how in pre-laser days he used to explode firecrackers from
his fingertips during "Flaming Telepaths"?

- Mike Godwin