OFF: autotours was HW: U.S. Tour, VENUES (Dallas)

J Strobridge eset08 at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Wed Jul 17 01:32:10 EDT 1996

Jerry Guizar writes:

>    Isn't there a computer program out that'll map out routes and print
> them out for you?

There was a good one in this country that was going round for a while -
it's only problem was when you overloaded it with too many variables it
eventually declared that there "are no routes available".   It was
probably, on reflection, designed by British Rail.

> I know I saw a TV story about a minvan that drove itself
> (I think using GIS data). It travelled one or two thousand miles -
> tho it only went 45MPH or so and stuck mainly to Interstate type roads (I
> think it had a problem with the way some offramps were designed).

Yeah - I think that's right - apparently the sotware included so
many different possibilities in the programme that no-one could be
absolutely sure exactly what the van was using to base its judgements on
and if, by chance, it happened to be using the line of a crash-barrier
to determine its position and the barrier suddenly stopped at an
offramp then it simply forgot where it was!

jill
J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at tattoo.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk