Covers Tapes: Thanks!!

Christian Mumford mumford at EUNET.NO
Thu Jul 18 06:00:13 EDT 1996

Just got the covers tapes and copies of the official HW cover album from
Dave Berry... thanks, cool surprise after another dreary day at work....

Now, I have a few questions (I haven't had time to listen to all of 'em,
so I'm sure its not going to be my last!):

The Spacemen 3 song "Revolution" - is it actually a HW song, or does it
just sound like one?? I have the very same song on an early Mudhoney EP
from about '88 or so called "Hate The Police" - same lyrics, same tune,
but no credits. Who actually wrote this song - was it Hawkwind (there
appears some non-HW stuff on the covers tapes)...or Mudhoney....or
Spacemen 3??? I believe Spacemen 3's "Playing with Fire" came out in '88
as well.

Mark Arm of Mudhoney once said in an interview that HW's "In Search of
Space" is one of his top 3 all time records.....

Now I'm going totally off, but I've noticed that both Amon Duul UK and
Van Der Graaf Generator have recorded "Olaf (Where's my $20.000?)" on
compilations ("Air on a Shoestring" and "Now and Then"). This must be
the same song! I like both bands, but have heard neither song, but I
presume VDGG must have done it first since they broke up in the late
70s. Now if it were a co-incidence, I suppose it could be like a 1 in
1000000000000000000 chance, but.....

Anybody?

Christian

PS! Oh yeah, they just showed the episode of the Young Ones over here
where Neil indeed says "Why can't they play some Hawkwind or
Marillion?"...