HW: more Roswell/Solstice

Keith A Henderson khenders at MAGNUS.ACS.OHIO-STATE.EDU
Thu Jul 18 19:20:26 EDT 1996

Hello again, folks...

Well, I've come across a few things on the WWW and thought I'd share them with
you all.

I searched for info on Roswell, and found the 1996 UFO Festival website.
Obviously, it's over now...from the list of events, it didn't seem as though
they had any 'music' this year, but then it's merely the '49th' anniversary,
and people have this obsession with even-numbered anniversaries, as if
multiples of 'ten', 'fifty', or a 'hundred' were truly meaningful (which of
course they're not, the decimal system being unnecessary for any mathematics).

[Now if it could be shown that the aliens only had, let's say, four appendages
on each hand, then presumably they would've used an 'octimal' system, and what
we would know as the '64th' anniversary (in 2011) would be the alien's '100th'
anniversary, and the big festival should be then. :)]

Anyway, I can't tell if these people are involved with next year's big event,
but I saw the name Stan Crosby again (with a phone number) - he was on
Nightline the other day.  Maybe Mr. Rats can give him a call.  Here's the
contact info for this group anyway....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
For more information about how you can have a booth during the festival please
contact
       Stan Crosby at 1-505-622-4742. Spaces are limited.

                         Who to Contact
               Fax: 1-505-624-6870 or 1-800-295-6870
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Now on to the other idea...a summer solstice festival.  Somebody posted a bit
about America's Stonehenge in New Hampshire.  I think this is a fantastic idea!
I checked out the web page and have copied a bit of the history about it below.
I can't tell how impressive a sight it is (ie., how tall the stones
are..they're at least as big as the 12" replica of Stonehenge 'Tap' used)..they
have closeup photos at the web page, and there are other archeological things
there other than the stones.

The best thing about it, is that it's only about 45 minutes away from Boston.
This would then make sense as a place to start a US tour (16 days before
Roswell), as they couldn't get a club interested enough to have HW play last
year, even despite a good number of fans there.  Also, there are bands not too
far away that could play also...ArchMet and Alien Planetscapes to name a
couple.

Two major hurdles would be....

1) How to get permission from the proprietors of this historical site??  Would
they go for it??  I have the feeling that they might get the impression that
either a whole slew of destructive metalheads were going to invade their sacred
ground, or a slew of drug-crazed hippies were going to stage some sort of
bizarre seance or something.  Neither would get us very far....we'd have to
come up with a way of convincing them that what Mike Holmes said about us is
true (I believe it, of course).  I'm guessing that hasn't been the case with
the British gov't, as I haven't heard of any Stonehenge festivals going on in
10 or 12 years.  :(

2) Who is going to be responsible for the logistics??  I mean, where will the
PA, stage risers, port-a-johns, power cables, etc. come from.  The obvious
person to contact first would be Chris Bruce, I'd think, but would he be
willing??  Or could he manage this??  I really don't know the scope of his
business...Scott???

At the very least, I think we (ie., Mr. Rats, again) should put the idea forth
to DS, and maybe they could check into it from their side.  I'd guess that Dave
would be into such an idea, and I really like the concept of an opening
festival and closing festival (kinda like the Olympics), I'm guessing the band
would too.  America needs more 'cool' festivals, as opposed to this jaded crap
they're putting on, with Coca Cola, etc. buying in (again, like the Olympics).

OK, here's some general info and contacts on 'our' Stonehenge.  BTW, any of you
'noreasters' been here....Scott?  Chris R.?  David?

Keith H. (FAA)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A Brief History

America's Stonehenge is one of the largest and possibly the oldest megalithic
(stone-constructed) sites in North America. It has long presented a complicated
and intriguing puzzle to archeologists, astronomers, and historians, and
presently serves as a leisurely, educational tour for the whole family.

The site was opened to the general public in 1958 by Mr. Robert E. Stone of
Derry, NH for the purpose of research and preservation. Since that date
research has been conducted on many fronts, the most exciting and conclusive of
which has been the recognition of the many astronomical alignments, making it
one of North America's largest calendrical sites.

The complex, a series of stone walls containing large, shaped, standing stones,
covers well over 30 acres. Like Stonehenge in England, America's Stonehenge was
built by ancient people well versed in astronomy and stone construction.
Through several independent surveys by qualified researchers, it has been
determined that the site is an accurate, astronomically aligned calendar. It
was, and still can be, used to determine specific solar and lunar events of the
year.

Archeological excavation at the site has uncovered numerous historic and
pre-historic artifacts, stone tools, pottery, and samples suitable for
radiocarbon dating. charcoal from two of these excavations in 1969 and 1971
proved to be 3,000 and 4,000 years old respectively.

The questions are obvious. Who built the many chambers and placed their four to
eleven ton capstones into position atop this desolate granite hilltop? Who went
to such painstaking care to shape each standing stone and position it in the
exact location to mark an important celestial event? And more importantly, why?
The answers are not so obvious.

We can be sure of one thing. This site was built by people who were here long
before Columbus arrived in 1492. Researchers have narrowed the possibilities
down to either a native American culture, or a migrant European population. As
of yet, no single theory has been proven, but research continues, and perhaps
someday will result in the solving of the puzzle.

Until then, evidence indicates this site to be one of the most important
archeological sites in the western hemisphere. At the very least, it is most
likely the oldest man-made construction in the United States.

For information on America's Stonehenge, email to FSNK36A at Prodigy.com (please
list your land-mail address), or, phone us at (603) 893-8300, You can write to
us at:

                             America's Stonehenge
                                 P.O. Box 84
                    North Salem, New Hampshire 03074, USA.