OFF: Eloy/WotEoT

Craig Shipley craigs at PYRAMID.COM
Wed Jul 31 11:13:14 EDT 1996

> Christian Mumford writes:
>
> > M Holmes wrote:
> > >

> > > Get "Power and the Passion". As far as I'm concerned, that's Eloy's "WoteoT.

IMHO, this is probably the one piece of Eloy music that hasn't aged well.
Musically, it's fine, but the lyrics are a little silly...

CHOMP!!

> Tunes huh? Try "Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes".

Agreed, very Pink Floyd-ish, as are a number of the early-80's CD's
(Time To Turn, Planets, Performance). My first introduction to the
band and it made a fan outta me!

> > Are there any good Eloy compilations?
>
> There was a mid-period compilation but I've forgotten what it was
> called. There was also one a few years back which was essentially rare
> Eloy stuff like single b-sides and so on. I *think* there's a late
> period compilation too.

Let me jump in here...

There are several Eloy "best of's". Personally, I think that the best
two CD's to own for the casual listener are the "Chronicles" releases.
What Eloy did was to re-record _faithful_ versions of the early Eloy
material, using classic instrumentation (i.e. Mellotrons, Moogs & ARP's),
but with today's superior recording technology. From the material on _RA_
on, they didn't re-record it, as it was recorded with modern technology,
but re-mixed it for CD.

There is an "early years" release that may have gone as late as the "Dawn"
release or perhaps "Ocean" (IMHO, the best of the early Eloy), but I haven't
purchased it, nor do I intend to.

Then there is "Rarieties" which is exactly what it says it is; singles,
B-sides, remixes, etc. More suited to the Eloy fan than the first-time
listener.

Or be like me and buy _everything_! Especially, the last recording _The_
Tides_Return_Forever_; excellent, excellent music! The bass guitarist
from the mid-'80's has rejoined the band and makes a great contribution
to the overall sound. Everything from tender ballads to ass-kicking rock!
I love it!

      -m------- Craig Shipley   aka: craigs at pyramid.com
    ---mmm----- Pyramid Technology Corporation, a Siemens Nixdorf Co.
  -----mmmmm--- 1100 Johnson Ferry Rd. Suite 400