BOC: cut the crap

Ted Jackson jr. EL 84 TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Wed Jul 31 17:49:08 EDT 1996

> Ted Jackson jr. EL 84 writes:
> >
> > > Casual fans at these shows?   I doubt it.   These are the die hards.
> > >
> > > They (BOC) seem to be afraid to loose the minimal audience they have left if
> > > they were to abandon the "hits" from the past.   I don't get them at all.
> > > Their audience is aging and moving on and they seem to continue to
> > > retreat, afraid to test anything new...
> > >
> > > RR
> >
> > Really!  'When you ain't got nothin', you got nothin to lose...'
> > theo
>
> I doubt that they're actually washed up creatively.  I have a feeling
> it's more like they're just mummified by the necessity of conforming
> to the "BOC sound".

Totally agree.  I just wish they'd have faith in us true diehard fans
who would welcome variety in the setlist.  I think there's plenty
left in BOC, but they're caught in some bizzare paralysis that keeps
them traveling the same path.  Maybe they need new management?

> I'd like to hear whatever it is that Buck has had brewing for the past
> several years (but that has never gotten out because it "isn't BOCish

Second that motion.  Even BD's mellow shit is better than anyone
else's rock.

> enough").  The man is a brilliant musician, I don't for a minute
> believe that he's over the hill - he's just... stifled.

Right both times.  Again, let the fans decide.  Play all your
experimental stuff, resurrect some old tunes, and put in some new
stuff.  I go to hear BD's guitar playing, not necessarily the songs
themselves.  I'd LOVE to hear him just wailing and jamming out on
stuff he likes to play.  If the fans can't handle it, well, then go
out in a blaze [a la Golden Age] rather than dying the death of a
thousand cuts...

> Personally, I think he should do some gigs with tBS to loosen up those
> musical tendons.  And then go form the guitar pop band of his dreams,
> and give us some new Don Roeser tunes.  ;-)
>
> Steve
> swann at panix.com

I like tBS just fine, but my all-time dream would be for the original
band to re-form.  I really think Al's departure was BOC's equivalent
to killing the albatross.  He was a creative force, a great drummer,
and their good-luck charm.  After he left, they went downhill.  Ah,
but why waste time dreaming over what can never be?
theo