OFF but ON: Timothy Leary

M Holmes fofp at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Mon Jun 3 00:51:46 EDT 1996

Jerry writes:

> Wylie wrote:
>
> >  Today the world lost a great visionary, a mind that grasped realities
> >which most of us cannot imagine, let alone experience.  May he relish
> >the ultimate trip.  This day I mourn.
>
> Didn't he say (first week of May) that he wanted to commit suicide by taking
> an overdose on something? The whole event had to be video taped and
> broadcast on tv and internet. I guess this did not happen?

He said he was thinking of committing suicide live online. I reckon a
lot of that was just his normal showmanship. Apparently he died in his
sleep.

However, Celestis are to put some of his ashes into a cannister and put
it in Earth orbit so it's always possible he'll be a hit again at some
time in the future ;-)

I could never manage to read any of the stuff he wrote but a biography
of him that I did read reveals a bright subversive iconoclast with a
definite gift of the blarney. I'll always regret that during the "Return
Engagement" tour which premiered at the Edinburgh Film Festival, our
government saw fit to allow Liddy not enter the UK but not Leary.

FoFP