HW: Record Collector / Moorcock int.

Jon Browne jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK
Mon Jun 3 04:27:14 EDT 1996

>> I'd be particularly interested in a copy/transcription of the Moorcock
>> portion of the interview if anyone could swing that?
>>
>> Allan.
>
>        could someone post the pages that the interview(s) were on
>        and the vol/number and month (may or june?)...
>
>        many thanks!
>
>        --dave
>        ps--Allan:ILL

Record Collector / June 96 Pages 84,85,86

"Michael Moorcock - occasional narrator, lyricist and sci-fi writer of
repute"

    "I was Bob Calvert's understudy basically. When he was in the loony
bin, I would attempt to tour with them. I first got involved with the
group while I was organising free gigs under the motorway at Ladbroke
Grove, in the days when we all felt the community spirit. I'd written
"Sonic Attack" for them, Bob got carted off by the men in white coats,
and that's when I appeared with them.
    What I liked about Hawkwind was that they seemed like the crazed
crew of a spaceship that didn't quite knowhow everything worked but
nevertheless wanted to try everything out . There was a sense that they
were completely out of it, but yet were producing something actually
very interesting. And what I *really* liked about them was that they
weren't pretentious. There were a lot of people who the minute they
stated using electronic music started talking about Stockhausen, which I
think is crap, frankly. They didn't have any of those hi-faluting claims
for themselves.
    I could never listen to any of the records. I can't stand any record
of mine. I don't read my own books. Life's too short! There's a lot
better stuff than that in the world! I enjoyed doing it, and I have a
lot of admiration for Dave Brock and what he did with the band. I like
the fact that they stuck to the principles they believed in,
particularly the first decade.
    I don't see a great deal of difference between Hawkwind and what
punk was doing. It was just the same, really, with different haircuts.
There was as much idealism, disgust with hypocrisy, and Hawkwind had
this reputation as a peace and love band, but none of the lyrics were
like that at all. It was urban stuff that could have been written ten or
twenty years later.
   I was always very sceptical about the whole peace and love aspect of
it all. I was for the sentiments, but you needed something more than
just a peace sign and another joint."
Any typos mine, sorry!--
Jon Browne