OFF: Nektar & Calvert

Keith A Henderson khenders at MAGNUS.ACS.OHIO-STATE.EDU
Mon Jun 3 15:02:56 EDT 1996

Paul asks....

> Sort of on topic I suppose ....
>
> I was out looking for rare vinyl on the weekend, and saw a pre-loved
> Nektar album from about 1975. Looking at the rear cover, it credits
> one Bob Calvert as "Ring Master" on track 4. I can't remember the
> title of the LP, but the cover was themed around a circus. Does
> anyone know anything about this release and Calvert's part in it?

This would be 'Down to Earth'....not to be confused with the Rainbow album of
the same name.  Anyway, Bob's role is *exactly* that...the ringmaster.  This
was sort of a conceptual piece (as Nektar was apt to do), all based upon the
circus as you said.  Anyway, it was not received very well by the general
public who began to take serious notice of Nektar with 'Remember the
Future'.  I myself don't think it's that awful an album, but it's somewhat hit
and miss.  'Nellie the Elephant' is pretty interesting, and begins with
Calvert's ranting...'Astral Man' is ok too.  But after the strong start, the
album kinda goes downhill.  There's one song on the second side I really like,
but for the life of me, I can't think of the title right now.

As far as track 4 goes, I'm not sure what that means....He 'announces' (for
lack of better word) the first two at least - not sure if his voice appears
anywhere else.

But if you're not familiar with Nektar much, this wouldn't be the best place to
start (although interestingly it was the first one I got....mainly because I
saw Calvert was credited).  Nektar was one of those rare instances when they
did their best work on their very first album (IMHO)....Journey to the Centre
of the Eye.

I should note that the mix/sound on my CD of this album (I never did find the
vinyl, so I can't tell you whether the CD transfer is at fault) is abysmal.
But then, the Remember the Future album was similarly fubar-ed by using an
experimental quadrophonic master as the basis for the CD reissue. Hence, only
two of four channels ended up on the CD...the mix is very keyboard heavy, at
the expense of guitar and vocal I think.  Another band that seriously needs the
recent remaster midas touch that Hawkwind and other old groups have received.

Keith H.

ObCut Seven - DarXtar (best DarXtar track yet!)
(and it bears *some* resemblance to 7 x 7 methinks.....)

P.S.  On the pronounciation of Sju....my friend Mr. Hellstrom says it like he
trying to say 'who' and 'coo' at the same time.  Either that, or he's trying to
clear his throat from all the lutefisk he's been eating.